Friday, September 30, 2011

Deep Dish Pizza- Homemade Turkey Sausage

This is by far one of my favorite meals, I just love deep dish!! We had this last week and I am pretty sure we are having it again tonight!!!




INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 lb 99% lean ground turkey (not pictured)
  • 2 tbsp ground sage
  • 1 tsp ground red pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 water
  • 15 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1 can Simply french bread
  • 1 cup fat free shredded mozzarella cheese
  • parmesan (not pictured)
  • salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 375
  2. Brown turkey making sure you break it into tiny pieces while cooking.
  3. Add to browning turkey, water, sage, garlic, onion, red pepper, salt & pepper
  4. Take loaf out of can and find seam, unravel carefully until it is a flat squarish sheet.
  5. Stretch as needed and place into sprayed/greased casserole pan (I use a glass pan that is between a 8X8 and 9X11)
  6. Make sure you leave enough to cover bottom and about 1- 2 inches up the sides. Cut off any that is hanging over edge (I use these for breadsticks)
  7. Place cheese on bread
  8. Place any toppings you desire, I use 1 lb turkey sausage and sometimes throw some turkey pepperoni in too!
  9. Bake until crust begins to slightly harden and turn from white to golden (NOT ALL THE WAY DONE)
  10. While pizza is baking saute the tomatoes in the turkey skillet (to pick up extra flavor) and simmer over low heat for 5-10 mins until it is a little less watery, but not pasty!
  11. Place tomatoes overtop of the pizza and finish baking until the crust is a nice done brown, not burnt brown HA HA
  12. Immediately dump copious amounts of parmesan, ok so maybe not as much as I do, but if you like it, go for it!!!!!
  13. Cut into sections and serve-this goes great with a nice greek salad (perhaps I should divulge my recipe for that soon)


Turkey with seasonings, I use a bamboo spatula to break it apart while browning


Finshed turkey sausage crumbles


How to 'un-roll' the bread loaf


Drape the bread over the pan and gently begin pressing down into the bottom and up the sides


Once bread is pressed down, add in cheese (I ran out of shredded mozz, so I added some fat free slices and a  string cheese I tore apart)


Dump sausage (& any other toppings) on top of cheese, NOTE...the bread should go slightly above the toppigns


Saute the tomatoes until there is a bit less water


Half baked and ready for tomatoes (notice the left over bread I made into delcious breadsticks!!)


Ready to reoven


Finished product with lots and lots of parmesan


Finished slice o' deep dish delight! 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. OMG I can't wait to make this on Sunday! Already have a menu for tomorrow;) Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete