Friday, December 2, 2011

Pinto Beans

Ingredients before chopping!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup chopped bell peppers (I used frozen, since they were on sale a few weeks ago, fresh would be fine too)
  • 1 32 oz beef broth
  • 8-16 oz water
  • rinsed & soaked beans (I used a small + some from another bag)
  • Half package of natural turkey bacon, chopped
  • Half package of natural ham deli meat, chopped
  • garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
  1. I use a cast iron pot....place 1/4 cup water in the pot along with the chopped bacon and ham and saute for a little to get them well cooked
  2. Add in chopped bell peppers, beans, and broth
  3. Cook over med-low heat for 1 hour or until beans are soft.
  4. Check periodically and add extra water to keep beans covered while cooking (you could use more beef broth, I didn't have another carton)
  5. When beans are soft, add seasoning as desired.
  6. Serve over cornbread or seasoned rice




Chopped up, ready to go!


Note...I added the bell peppers too early, but it still tasted good!


served over some cheddar jalapeno cornbread 




One of my fave southern comfort foods

No comments:

Post a Comment