Monday, March 28, 2011

Healthier Brownies

We love our dairy.  We do coffee with milk, cereal and yogurt for breakfast, cheese snacks, normally some cheese or milk used in dinner prep, love ice cream...so you see, we eat A LOT of dairy throughout the course of a day. That is why I try my best to buy organic dairy since we consume so much of it. Stonyfield also has online coupons so check out Stonyfield's webpage here and click on their coupon link for more info on savings.

My daughter was practically born on Stonyfield.  We used the yoBaby yogurt to initiate the switch to dairy.  Now that she is a high paced, super speedy three year old, the cartons slow her down so we do the yoKids yogurt tubes.*Product hint- freeze these and they are even less messy and a fun, cool down treat in the hot months* My husband loves their yogurt and the variety they have in it.  He also likes the smoothies but they are a little harder to find, guess they are more popular. Me...it is all about the ice cream...OK so I love their Greek Oikos yogurt too (especially the delicious desserts I make with it)

As a family we go through stages of small to mass milk consumption, their cartons however scientifically they do this is above me, allow the milk not to spoil as fast as the see through containers we have purchased in the past.  I am assuming it has something to do with blocking light and perhaps more insulating? eh, who know, who cares...just know it outlast other milks.


Lastly here is my beloved secret to making FANTASTIC eggless, low fat brownies (I am making a half batch but the recipe is for a full 9X13 pan)



  • 1 box brownie mix (I prefer Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate) *low fat brownie mix NOT recommended-it's not 'bad' it just makes more of a cake versus fudgey brownies*
  • 1/4 cup natural, unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup water or 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup Stonyfield Oikos Greek Vanilla yogurt (if using plain just add 1/2 tsp vanilla)
Preheat oven to 325*.  Spray 9 X 13 baking pan (I used a 9 X 9 since I halved the recipe).  Mix ingredients and place into pan, bake as directed for they type of  pan you are using.

Leave them a bit undone verses over baking and they will bake quicker!

*This is a pick of them unbaked just 'ovenized' brownies-forgot in my haste to make yummy deliciousness to take a mixing pic!

**Also-these were gone as soon as I pulled them out of the oven...it was all I could do to beg my family to let the molten lave brownies cool a bit, but no-they INHALED them (I helped). Perhaps next time I will get a pic of the final product!

If you are feeling frisky you can add some ice cream or whip cream & fresh fruit. These taste...well like I imagine heaven to be like...simply dreamy and noone ever believes they are low fat, they are gooey just like a regular egg and oil laden brownie, but not as bad for you!!! SO ENJOY! I recommend following the directions I posted and not cutting it in half...they were gone too fast, next time I follow my own recipe and make the whole 9 X 13!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment