Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Review of Bird's Custard Powder

Originally submitted at Cost Plus World Market

The original homemade custard, Bird's Custard Powder is a quick and easy way to make traditional British custard on the fly. This is the original thickening agent of custard invented by Alfred Bird in 1837 because his wife was allergic to eggs. Mix two tablespoons of powder with sugar and milk ...


Brings back sweet childhood memories!!

By Christin from Richmond, VA on 5/3/2011

 

5out of 5

Pros: Delicious, Good Value, Easy To Prepare, Flavorful

Best Uses: Anytime

Describe Yourself: Health Conscious

My best friend's father is British and used to (and still does) bring back Birds from his trips back to England but when I run out and he isn't taking a trip to the UK I love being able to grab this at my World Market. It can be tricky to avoid lumps, my suggestion, keep a whisk handy and don't stop whisking!! Growing up I ate this alongside cake, berries, bananas, and just plain. I love it with strawberries and a few chocolate baking chips added in...sooo heavenly! And if you are like me and a calorie counter you can make this with skim milk and it still turns out perfecto and since it has no eggs it is really low calorie for such a good sized portion!

(legalese)

No comments:

Post a Comment